Friday, January 22, 2016

Gold Raspberries - Another Edible Obsessive

Perennials grown under the right circumstances are the easiest edibles for the newbie gardener, even without the most ideal soil conditions or space. This is why perennial edibles; like raspberries and other rubus are simply the best. I don't know anyone who doesn't absolutely love raspberries. However, gold raspberries are harder to come by, and purchasing canes (in Canada) is a challenge. Aside from my open-love for tomatoes and purple vegetables, yellow and gold raspberries are another fascination bordering obsession. The taste profile is milder and less tart then red raspberries, and they tend to be "softer". They ripen much quicker and most yellow or gold varieties are harvested in fall - which is great if you have a variety of raspberries and you want an extended season. However, a grower should be careful of over-ripe fruit.
This photo says it all - look at that diversity of colour!
How could I not be in love with this fruit!
Anyone can grow raspberries - Fact! There is an upside and downside to growing raspberries, I would say for the most part with the right measures, is nothing but awesome for someone who wants to grow an edible. They can grow in the shade and in the sun, they don't care if the ground is flat or on steep hill, and produce just fine in average soil. Just plant the canes and let them run wild.
Some very happy "contained" raspberries, without built supports
this growth habit is what you can expect.
Once you plant a few canes, they will happily multiply and create a thick briar. This growth habit might be a negative for some, but building a low raised bed or barrier for your patch is a smart investment. For the ease of harvest, supports and narrow raised beds are recommended so you can easily reach each precious fruit on the inner canes. Raspberries grow in a very wind habit, and left unchecked can grow into massive patch where most berries cannot be reached.


One very interesting note that I can make about my own golden raspberries, is that the birds and squirrels don't seem to notice them. For the most part, they don't attack the red and black raspberries I grow, but eat them if the canes dip towards the ground and the squirrel doesn't have to touch the thorns. If you have issues with birds or rodents eating your berries, perhaps consider the gold raspberries instead.
Yellow toned raspberries are stunning,
The perfect thing to show off at your next dinner a-top a cake or tart.
Two of my main philosophies, when it comes to growing anything in my garden, is to ask myself these two questions; "Can I find this variety 'readily' in local grocery stores or markets? And/or - Can I grow it to taste better then what I find in the grocery stores?" The reality is, I can't grow everything, I don't have the space and resources. Golden raspberries fall into this philosophy because I can technically occasionally find them at the grocery store, but they're expensive and imported from a-far, but I can definitely beat freshness and save money by growing them. I love berries, and when I find reasonable yellow raspberry canes - I buy them. They bare fruit within one to two years and keep spreading.

Enjoy the following pictures of mouth watering glorious golden raspberries. The inspiration behind this post.



You can see the difference between "Anne" (light yellow)
and "Fall Gold" (warm gold orange)
"Anne" on the branch
"Double Gold"
"Autumn Amber"
"Kiwi Gold"
"Anne & Fall Gold"
"Valentina"
"Anne" Raspberries
Here is a list of some gold and yellow raspberry cultivars, so far in Canada I've only seen Fall Gold and Anne. The search continues!

Anne
Fall Gold
All Gold
Kiwi Gold
Golden Everest
Golden Queen
Valentina
Amber Queen
Double Gold
Honey Queen
Autumn Amber

Here are some of my raspberries in "Fall Gold"
My hands are small, so it's hard to see, but these are massive!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog and am also interested in buying your book. Your garden looks great. I love raspberries and your blog has a lot of interesting information about growing them. I have been growing strawberries for a few years and have been thinking about trying to grow raspberries as well this year. Thank you for your inspirations.

    Faith Thomas @ The Berry Farm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faith! Thanks for your lovely comment! I've been without a computer for a month or so now, so the book writing was temporarily set to a halt - but I'm back at it! The book will not be available until end of November 2016! (At least thats the plan) Stay in touch - Canadian raspberry season is coming up fast!

      Delete