Friday, March 16, 2018

The Ultimate Tomato List of 2018 - Part 1

Wow it's been awhile! If you want more Suburban Micro Farm more often, check out my Instagram - @suburbanmicrofarm I post there almost everyday with lots of beautiful photos and my most recent updates! Although I love the instagram format, it's not quite the same as a detailed post about my plans, dreams and ongoing projects.

I have so much to share from 2017, and I will be doing some back-tracking in the coming weeks. 2017 was rough year full of change, loss and reorientation. Thankfully gardening was there to help me and inspire healing. In the spring of 2017, I transformed anunused suburban yard into a glorious 2000sq ft vegetable garden and created a kitchen garden program for adults in transitional housing; the food grown then supplied the in-patient residence kitchen. It was an amazing experience.

This year I want to keep progressing forward and ramp up my personal garden to the level I know I can reach with a couple of dedicated weekend grunts. Like many early starts to the garden season, here I am starting tomatoes once again.

Like always there are new varieties and old classics which I can't imagine not growing year after year. There will be a Ultimate Tomato List Part 2 as I have since added a few more varieties (beacause - why not?).




My tomato varieties for 2018
Banana Legs
Barry's Crazy Cherry
Bing Cherry
Black Beauty
Blane's Pit Viper
Blane's Streak Legal
Blue Fade (breeding project)
Blue Keyes
Blush
Cafe Brule
Copia
Damascus Steel
Dancing with Smurfs
Dark Galaxy
Don's Double Delight
Fuzzy Wuzzy
Garden Peach
Hippie Zebra
Isis Starfire
Kaleidoscopic Jewel
Lil' Nipple (breeding project)
Marizol Magic
Painted Pink
Pertsevidnyi Polosatyi
Reisetomate
Sarandipidy Dwarf
Striped Antho Dawrf
Submarine Blush
Tim's Black Ruffles
Tonnelet
Variegated


I now have over 250 varieties stored in my tomato seed bin (yes, they have their own bin) and it's getting more difficult to narrow-down my grow-out list to a reasonable number before they start to take-over my yard comepletely. Some tomatoes on this list above never seem to perform well, but I always have high hopes. Blue keyes for example; I've been trying to grow this variety for two years without luck. The plant it's self seems to grow narrow spindley vines with narrow leaves and never "makes it" to the fruit stage. This year I have started the remainder of my Blue Keyes seeds in the hopes of producing at least one or two viable plants with fruit for future seasons.

Tomato Seeds for Sale - New for 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment